Skip to content
- It is a protected area near Mumbai in Maharashtra.
- It was formerly known as Borivali National Park (renamed to present name in 1996, after Sanjay Gandhi, eldest son of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.).
- It is notable as one of the major national parks existing within metropolis limit and is one of the most visited parks in the world.
- It is spread over are of 103 sq.km in heart of Mumbai city and surrounded by population of 20 million people.
- It is part of Western Ghats biodiversity and forms roughly 20.5% of Mumbai’s geographical area.
- Kanheri Caves, 2000 year old complex of some 160 rock-cut caves (was important Buddhist learning centre) is situated within national park and is protected archaeological site.