Ministry/Department : Ministry of IT and Electronics
Objective : To make 6 crore rural households digitally literate by March 2019
- Under the scheme, 25 lakh candidates will be trained in the FY 2016-17;
- 275 lakh in 2017-18; and
- 300 lakh in 2018-19.
- To ensure equitable geographical reach, each of the 250,000 Gram Panchayats across the country will be expected to register an average of 200-300 candidates.
- Digitally literate persons will be able to operate computers/digital access devices, send and receive emails, access government services, browse internet, search for information, undertaking cashless transactions, etc..
- The scheme will be implemented under the supervision of Ministry of Electronics and IT in collaboration with States/UTs through their designated State Implementing Agencies, District e-Governance Society (DeGS), etc.
- As per 71st NSSO, only 6% of the total 16.85 crore rural households have a computer