Ministry/Department : Ministry of Human Resource Development
The objective of this scheme is to identify and fund research proposals in social sciences with maximum impact on the governance and society.
- The government support would include a total funding of Rs.414 crore on 1500 projects for policy themes in the social sciences at the cost of Rs. 20-25 Lakh per project.
- Thematic Areas : Under the scheme, support is to be provided for projects on 11 broad thematic areas as follows:
- State and Democracy
- Urban transformation,
- Media, Culture and Society
- Employment, Skills and Rural transformation
- Governance, Innovation and Public Policy
- Growth, Macro-trade and Economic Policy
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Health and Environment
- Science and Education
- Social Media and Technology
- Politics, Law and Economics.
- The Sub-Theme areas will be decided on the basis of Expert Groups’ advice before notifying the scheme and calling for applications.
- To ensure selection of projects through a transparent, competitive process on online mode.
- To provide opportunity for social science researchers in any institution in the country, including all Universities (Central and State), private institutions.
- ICSSR funded/recognised research institutes will also be eligible to submit research proposals on the given themes and sub-themes.
- Nodal Agency : The Indian Council of Social Science and Research (ICSSR) will be the project implementing agency.