- It is 700 verse Hindu scripture in Sanskrit that is part of Hindu epic Mahabharata.
- It is set in narrative framework of dialogue between Pandava prince Arjuna and his guide and charioteer Lord Krishna.
- The Bhagavad Gita presents a synthesis of the concept of Dharma, theistic bhakti, yogic ideals of moksha through jnana, bhakti, karma, and Raja Yoga and Samkhya philosophy.
International Gita Festival 2018
- It is being organized to commemorate birth of ‘Srimad Bhagwat Gita’, the sacred scripture containing invaluable advice of Lord Krishna that he proffered to Arjuna, third Pandava in battlefield of Kurukshetra on first day of famous 18-day battle in Mahabharata.
- It is held mainly on 11th day on Shukla Paksha (waxing phase of moon) of Margashirsh month (November – December) as per traditional Lunar calendar i.e. Shukla Paksha Ekadashi day of Margashirsha month.
- It is jointly organized by Kurukshetra Development Board, Haryana Tourism, District Administration and Information and Public Relations Department, Haryana.
- On side-lines of this event, about 200 famous painters from across the country will draw paintings on walls of Kurukshetra on the theme of the Mahabharata under the ‘paint-the-wall’ competition.
- Artists from India as well from Mauritius, Indonesia, Iran, Turkmenistan and Russia will perform during the annual festival.