Three-tier internal security structure
- At present, India has three-tier internal security structure which includes
- National Security Council (NSC), headed by Prime Minister,
- Strategic Policy Group (SPG) and
- National Security Advisory Board (NSAB).
- PM-headed NSC is apex body and National Security Advisor (NSA) works as its secretary.
- The SPG is headed by cabinet secretary and it has chiefs of armed forces, Intelligence Bureau (IB) and RAW as its members.
- It is responsible for policy-making and for follow up action in matters of national security.
- The NSAB does long term analysis and provides perspectives on issues of national security.