Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Thus, it takes into account both the present and future generations without over-exploitation of natural resources and environmental degradation.
Features of Sustainable Development:
- Sustained Rise in Real per Capita Income : There should be a sustained rise in real per capita income and economic welfare on long-term basis.
- Rational Use of Natural Resources : Sustainable development simply means that natural resources should be rationally used in a manner such that they are not overexploited.
- Preserving the natural resources for future generations : Sustainable development aims at making use of natural resources and environment for raising the existing standard of living in such a way as not to reduce ability of the future generations to meet their own needs.
Sustainable Development Goals
- The documentary screened at the Rio+20 conference – “Future We Want” presented the idea of post 2015 development agenda.
- Sustainable development Goals (SDGs) is an intergovernmental agreement formulated to act as post 2015 Development agenda, its predecessor being Millennium Development Goals.
- It is a group of 17 goals with 169 targets and 304 indicators, as proposed by the United Nation General Assembly’s Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals to be achieved by 2030.
- Post negotiations, agenda titled “Transforming Our World: the 2030 agenda for Sustainable Development” was adopted at the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit.
- SDGs is the outcome of Rio+20 conference (2012) held in Rio De Janerio and is a non-binding document.
17 Sustainable Development Goals
- SDG 1: No Poverty
- SDG 2: Zero Hunger
- SDG 3: Good Health and Well-being
- SDG 4: Quality Education
- SDG 5: Gender Equality
- SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- SDG 7: Affordable and clean energy
- SDG 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- SDG 10: Reduced inequalities
- SDG 11: Sustainable cities and communities
- SDG 12: Responsible production and Consumption
- SDG 13: Climate actions
- SDG 14: Conserve life below water
- SDG 15: Protect the life on land
- SDG 16: Peace, justice and strong institutions
- SDG 17: Partnerships for the goals