- CAT was established under Article 323A of the Constitution (inserted by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment, 1976).
- It is a multi-member body consisting of Chairman and members.
- It was established in 1985 under Section 29 of the Administrative Tribunals Act, 1985.
- It exercises original jurisdiction in relation to recruitment and all services matters of public servants covered by it.
- Its jurisdiction extends to the all-India services, Central civil services, civil posts under the Centre and civilian employee of defence services.