Mammals of India Project (MaOI)
- Mammals of India (MaOI) is a new model of repository on Indian mammals by the Scientists and Researchers from the National Centers for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore.
- It is a citizen-scientific repository initiated in September 2018.
- It is a first such repository of Mammals in India.
Special Features Of MaOI
- It is an online, freely accessible portal whose aim is to develop individual pages for all Indian mammals covering all related information about their distribution, breeding, variation, identification and conservation.
- The website mammalsofindia.org provides a facility to the citizen to upload photographic observations about mammals.
- The photographs of rare species such as Red Serow from Manipur, Lynx a species of wild cat from Jammu and Kashmir, Asian Golden Cat from West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh and Binturong, also known as bear cat, from East Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh have been uploaded on this portal.
- This is an exclusive portal for mammals in India which will help in having a good distribution map of mammals all around the country.
- MaOI is an initiative under Biodiversity Atlas project. The Biodiversity Atlas is a species-based bioinformatics platform.