What is VVPAT?
- VVPAT stands for Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail
- The VVPAT system is a new initiative of the Election Commission to ensure free and fair elections.
- In the VVPAT system, when a voter presses the button for a candidate of his choice in the electronic voting machines (EVM), a paper ballot containing the serial number, name of the candidate and poll symbol will be printed for the voter.
- It is intended as an independent verification system for EVM designed to
- allow voters to verify that their votes are casted correctly,
- detect possible election fraud or malfunction and
- provide a means to audit the stored electronic results.
- After being visible to the voter from a glass case in the VVPAT for seven seconds, the ballot slip will be cut and dropped into the drop box in the VVPAT machine and a beep will be heard.
- VVPAT machines can be accessed by polling officers only.