- It is a treaty that came into force in 1964
- It lays out the rules and regulations for diplomatic relations between countries as well as the various privileges that diplomats and diplomatic missions enjoy.
- One of these privileges is legal immunity for diplomats so that they don’t have to face prosecution as per their host country’s laws.
Why in news?
- Indian security agencies recently arrested a Pakistani High Commission staffer on allegations of espionage. The charges are that he was found to be in possession of defence-related documents. Soon after the arrest, however, he was released, declared persona non grata, and informed that he must leave India within 48 hours
- Pakistan has accused India of violating the international convention for protection of diplomats