Complete Package for Civil Service Preparation by self study :
* IAS4Sure Notes
* The MCQ Factory (TMF)
* Prelims Guidance Program 2021
* Prelims Test Series 2021
- It is an endemic and rare sub species of brow antlered deer found only in Manipur
- It is the state animal of Manipur
- Its habitat is restricted to the marshy wetland of Keibal Lamjao over the floating biomass in Loktak Lake which is locally called ‘phumdi’
- It is also one of the seven Ramsar sites of international importance.
- The habitat of the sangai is now protected as the Keibul Lamjao National Park.
- Keibal Lamjao is the only floating national park in India.
- Phumdi is the floating mass of entangled vegetation formed by the accumulation of organic debris and biomass with soil.
- While walking on the floating biomass, Sangai often balances itself which looks as if it is dancing on the green grassland and therefore popularly called as ‘dancing deer’ of Manipur
- IUCN status : Endangered.