About the Scheme
The features of the Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Mandhan scheme are:
- Under the scheme, an assured monthly pension of Rs 3,000 per month will be provided to workers in the unorganised sector after 60 years of age.
- To avail of the scheme, workers will have to contribute a minimal Rs 100 month per month.
- The scheme is expected to benefit 10 crore workers.
- This new pension scheme will run alongside the existing Atal Pension Yojana, which guarantees returns post-retirement.
- The scheme is designed as a tribute to the workers in the unorganised sector who contribute around 50 per cent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).