Ministry/Department : Ministry of Rural Development
Objective: To provide all-weather road connectivity to all eligible unconnected habitations.
- It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme
- The programme envisages connecting all eligible unconnected habitations with :
- A population of 500 persons and above in plain areas
- 250 persons and above in Hill States, Tribal (Schedule-V) areas, the Desert Areas (as identified in Desert Development Programme) and 82 Selected Tribal and Backward Districts under Integrated Action Plan (IAP) as identified by the Ministry of Home Affairs/Planning Commission.
- The programme also has an Upgradation component in order to ensure full farm to market connectivity.
- The Rural Roads is one of the six components of Bharat Nirman
- World Bank has supported PMGSY since its inception.
- For this scheme, 75 paise per litre has been earmarked out of cess levied on high speed diesel.
- It considers habitation as unit for providing connectivity and not a revenue village.
- The scheme encourages use of “Green Technologies” and non-conventional materials (like waste plastic, geo-textiles, fly-ash, iron and copper slag etc) for constructing rural roads.
- Funding pattern : In ratio of 60:40 between Centre and State for all States except for 8 North Eastern and 3 Himalayan States (Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu & Kashmir) for which it is 90:10.
- Launched in 2000