Ministry : Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Aims to provide financial assistance to OBC students studying at post-matriculation or post-secondary stage to enable them to complete their education.
- It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- It is in operation since 1998-99.
- Some revision has been made in scheme recently.
- The revision in PMS-OBC scheme aims to ensure effective implementation and better monitoring of the schemes.
- It will cover larger numbers of eligible and deserving poor OBC students who will be able to pursue higher studies.
- It will also ensure effective implementation, achieve de-duplication and enhanced monitoring.
- Under revised PMS-OBC, annual parental income ceiling has been increased from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh.
- Now onwards, 30% of funds will be earmarked for girl students and 5% for students with disabilities.
- Disbursement of scholarships will be now through Aadhaar seeded bank accounts.