Skip to content
- Integrated Defence Staff was created in 2001 following the recommendation of GoM which was set up after the Kargil war to review India’s defence management.
- IDS was established to ensure a high degree of synergy between the Armed forces.
- IDS works towards integration of policies, war fighting and procurement by employing best management practices.
- The IDS comprises of Service Officers, Civilian Officers and Scientists who perform roles and functions allocated to them based on responsibilities of Integrated Defence Staff.
- It is headed by Chief of Integrated Staff as Chairman (who enjoys status equivalent to that of Vice Chief of Service.)
- It has representation from all three services, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Department of Defence (DoD) and Def (Finance).