** Important : IIP series changed in May 2017 **
- Base year has been changed from 2004-05 to 2011-12
- Number of items has been changed (See details below)
- There will be 407 item groups
- The new series of IIP will include technology items like smart phones, tablets, LED television etc.
- A technical review committee has also been established to identify new items by ensuring that the series remains relevant. The committee is slated to meet at least once a year.
- The revised IIP (2011-12) reflects the changes in industrial sector and also aligns it with base year of other macroeconomic indicators like Wholesale Price Index (WPI) and Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- IIP is compiled and published by Central Statistics Office(CSO)
- It is published every month
- It covers 865 (Older series 682) items comprising :
- Manufacturing (809 items, Older series 620 items),
- Mining (55 items, Older Series 61 items) &
- Electricity (1 item).
- The weights of the three sectors are :
- Manufacturing – 77.63%,
- Mining – 14.37%,
- Electricity – 7.99%
- Base year for IIP is 2011-2012 (Earlier 2004-05) i.e. it is calculated on the basis of their share of GDP at factor cost during 2011-12.
- The eight Core Industries comprise nearly 40.27 % of the weight of items included in IIP. They are :
- Coal (10.33%)
- Crude oil (8.98%)
- Natural gas (6.88%)
- Refinery products (28.04%)
- Fertilisers (2.63%)
- Steel (17.92%)
- Cement (5.37%)
- Electricity (19.85%)
- In IIP, the decreasing order of core industries among them is as:
REFINERY PRODUCTS>ELECTRICITY> STEEL> COAL> CRUDE OIL> NATURAL GAS>CEMENT> FERTILIZERS