Why sycophancy whether in politics or in personal life, is considered as immoral? Critically analyse. (200 Words)
M.K. Gandhi, 1937: “It is not good for us to worship an individual. Only an ideal or a principle can be worshipped.” Sycophancy is an act of blind adherence to a certain ideology, group or individual. This approach has negative repercussions in both personal and political grounds.
In a developing nation like India, blindly following a leader can has the following disadvantages:
- Dictatorial regime: Leader is more important than principles.
- Importance to religion, caste etc. : Gives birth to communalism
- Compromises on ideals of democracy.
- Important agendas like development can be neglected.
- Discourages innovation, scientific temper- conservative mindset is promoted to preserve religion, caste etc.
- Freedom of Press is curbed or they are monitored to promote the leader.
- Various other stakeholders like civil society, NGOs etc. do not have say in policy matters.
Similarly, this approach in personal matters can have negative impact in family life as well as official matters.
- Blindly following a senior can discourage transparency in organization.
- Merit is compromised.
- Position of women would remain lower as they are not accepted as natural leaders.
- Real issues etc. will remain neglected. This will have negative impact on organization goals