Role of social media in connecting people and government in a large democracy.
Tool of diplomacy:
- Modi wished Chinese PM on his birthday via social media
- Modi wished Israeli PM in Hebrew and he replied in Hindi
In today’s age of increasing reach of social media, it has also penetrated the sector of government and has given the citizens a new platform to express their views regarding various policies effecting public life.
Social media has brought the idea of direct democracy at a much achievable distance, with the mobiles being available at cheap prices, has connected a large section of the society to each other, where they can make their voice heard, and make the government think on any of its policies.
The recent step of PM to ask for suggestions for improving Make in India initiative and the uproar of public against abolition of Net Neutrality which led to the liberal position of TRAI, has been crucial examples of the power of social media in influencing the government policies.
On the other hand, social media can also be nuisance for the government sometimes. Mudslinging has got a new medium, and people are venting all their wrath and anger by blasting off tweet after tweet, mocking every aspect of these servants of society. Various defamatory comments posted on social networks can lead to unnecessary public unrest, which waste the precious time of the officials while trying to tackle he situation.
Seeing the negative impacts caused by social media, Section 66A was introduced by the IT act, which turned out be doing exactly the opposite of what was intended. Instead of stopping public unrest incidents, it lead to harassment of innocent individuals, leading to a blot on the ability of governance of the incumbent govt.
To minimize such incidents citizens need to be educated about the better usage of social media, as the upcoming Digital India initiative aims to connect the whole nation on internet, and only with knowledge of effective usage of the platform, can it lead to the betterment of the nation.
Effect on Function & Performance of government
- Accountability and transparency in Government
- Various deals, decision by representative are Instantly getting shared on Social media
- In a way it is Helping people decide that What things are actually Government is doing and its viewpoint
- It is also causing swift actions by government
- Making representative more closer through Digital interface
- Democratizing effect
Effect on Governance and Institutions
- various consultations like recent by TRAI on net neutrality was immediately circulated shared.
- It is providing voice to the people and Voices are heard Like recently Post protest over Airtel charging on OTT services caused to take it back
- Office delays ,and Bureaucratic red-tapism, absenteeism has been affected greatly.
- Recent protest on Free speech has also caused Judicial activism thus Prudent judiciary in even of Infringement of rights
- Not only Public, It also helped Political leader during election Campaign, propagating manifesto
- Cost of dissemination of Information ,expenditure of government has been reduced Vis a Vis to other forms of Information
Critically analyse the effect of social media on functions and performance of government, governance and institutions in India. (200 Words)