- India and US have established new two-by-two (2 by 2) ministerial dialogue to enhance strategic coordination between them and maintaining peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region.
- The new dialogue format will replace the earlier India-US Strategic and Commercial Dialogue.
- It will be similar to the India-Japan 2+2 dialogue format between foreign and defence secretaries of the two countries.
How relationship evolved?
- India and US had elevated their Strategic Dialogue in 2009 which mainly focuses on regional security, economic cooperation, defence, trade and climate challenges.
- The purpose of two-by-two ministerial dialogue is to put strategic, defence and security relationship between the two countries at the forefront and centre stage.
- The new format would include External Affairs Minister and Defence Minister from India and their American counterparts Secretary of State and Defence Secretary.
- The new ministerial dialogue would enhance strategic coordination between the two nations.
- It will be helpful to coordinate more closely on Afghanistan, developments in the Asia Pacific, Indian Ocean and also in the Middle East (West Asia).
- It will insulate the India-US strategic relationship from feuds over trade and deep divide on economic integration policies as trade and commercial issues were discussed in the Strategic and Commercial Dialogue earlier.
Why in news?
- 2+2 dialogue held in New Delhi in Sep, 2018. India signed COMCASA.