To look into the issues of “Net neutrality”
Committee recommended for adherence of the core principles of Net Neutrality, it also suggested few exceptions in the interests of national security and businesses.
Highlights of report
- Legitimate traffic management practices may be allowed but should be tested against the core principles of Net Neutrality. Further, Improper (Paid or otherwise) Prioritization may not be permitted.
- India specific Net Neutrality approach should be formulated by taking into account international best practices that serve specific needs of the country.
- The primary goals of public policy in the context of Net Neutrality should be directed towards achievement of developmental aims of the country by facilitating Affordable Broadband, Quality Broadband and Universal Broadband for its citizens.
- User rights on the Internet need to be ensured so that Telecom or Internet Service Providers do not restrict the ability of the user to send, receive, display, use, post any legal content, application or service on the Internet, or restrict any kind of lawful Internet activity or use.
- Over-the-top (OTT) application services should be actively encouraged and any impediments in their expansion and growth should be removed.
- In order to deal with the complexities of the new digital world, a think-tank with best talent may also be set up.
NOTE: You can use these recommendations in Net Neutrality questions.