Saudi Arabia, Russia, agree to freeze oil output
Top global producers Saudi Arabia and Russia agreed to freeze oil output in a bid to increase prices after a 70 per cent drop due to chronic oversupply.
- India, being the 3rd largest importer of crude oil imports 85% of total oil and 95% of natural gas from OPEC nations.
- In recent time due to cheaper oil prices in international market due to overproduction and non-coordination among OPEC countries Indian economy had immensely benefited.
- However, this decision may result in spike in oil prices which can have major implications for the India’s current account deficit and overall economy in general.
- In recent times, lower oil prices kept the Indian economy on the shining path and managed to keep inflation under control making it fastest growing economy in G20 countries
Explain the process of formation of crude oil and natural gas. Examine why there is so much oil in Middle East but less in India
Crude oil and natural gas are obtained from sedimentary rocks. They were formed from remains of dead plants and animal that were buried under sand and rocks. over millions of year, high pressure and heat, in the absence of air, converted them to oil and gas.
- Sedimentation occurred between 30 degree north and south were temperature was high and organic activity was high. Middle east lied between these range where India missed it.
- Middle east was at favourable position during mid cretaceous Global warming, coupled with sea level rise and abundance of plankton
500 million years history of sedimentation on continental margins of Gondwana.
- Though oil is formed in sedimentary rocks but all sedimentary rocks do not contain oil. An oil reservoir must have three pre-requisite conditions–
- porosity-to accumulate large amount of oil. (middle east rocks are formed of limestone and dolomite which have high porosity. Indian rocks are hard and not so porous)
- Permeability to discharge oil and gas when oil is drilled (dolomite and limestone has high permeability).
- porous sand beds, sandstone should be capped by impervious bed so that oil do not dissipate to surrounding rocks.