Ministry/Department : Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
Objective: Aims at mainstreaming sport as tool for individual development, community development, economic development and national development.
- A program of central government for development of sports.
- Khelo India is a merger of following schemes:
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan(RGKA)
- Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme (USIS)
- National Sports Talent Search Scheme (NSTSS)
- The revamped programme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20 aims to impact entire sports ecosystem, including infrastructure, talent identification, community sports, coaching, competition structure and sports economy.
- It includes:
- Pan Indian Sports Scholarship Scheme
- Sports Universities
- National Physical Fitness Drive
- It aims to help scout young talent from schools in various disciplines and groom them as future sports champions.
- Under it, talented players are identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by High-Powered Committed and each selected player is provided annual financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh for 8 years.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan(RGKA):
- The RGKA was a centrally sponsored scheme l
- Launched in2014.
- It was launched in place of erstwhile Panchayat Yuva Krida aur Khel Abhiyan (PYKKA).
- RGKA aimed at constructing sports complexes in each block and exclusively both for indoor and outdoor in different sports discipline for 5 years.
It was a rural sports initiative introduced by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to promote youth and social development through sports.