It is widely established beyond doubt that smoking is injurious to health and regular smokers die sooner than non-smokers. Some people, for example, a parent smokes at home knowing that it is harmful to family members too. Others smoke in public places causing problem to the public. Governments try to warn public of dangers of smoking through advertisements and warning messages.
- Very first thing is, there must be his will toward stopping, without his effort, my persuasion will end up in failure. Hence, I will let him know harmful effects of smoking in aspects of health, stress, other getting affected, wastage of money, long term harm. I will make him realise that, more he will delay, harder it will become for him.
- I will try to engage him in some of my other daily activities like taking him for jogging in morning, playing some outdoor game in evening. This will divert his mind and fill his lungs with fresh oxygen supply which is good for smoker to get realise effect of fresh air in lungs.
- I will try to keep him away from his smoker friends, places where people generally smoke. Because such friends, places acts as trigger for them to again engage in smoking.
- I will tell him some horrific data, stats and incidents where people suffered because of smoking followed by pleasant instances where people quit smoking to lead healthy life. Horrific incidents will act as deterrents while pleasant one will act as motivators.
- Last but not least, I will try my best to make him quit smoking, but if he will still not understand, then I will maintain distance from him, so that he realise that my effort were my commitment and not nay-say.