Quotes on Democracy

This post is a part of Project WikiIAS by IAS4Sure.

WikiIAS is a wikipedia for UPSC aspirants started by selected candidates. Here, you will get all notes you need to excel in UPSC exams at one place. You can also subscribe and get all these notes in an organised fashion in OneNote or Evernote. Please see the video in the bottom to understand better. If you are new to OneNote/Evernote, don't worry, we will help you in understanding it.

Help us improving it by providing your feedback in comments below.

 

 
  • Democracy is the rule of the people, by the people and for the people – Abraham Lincoln
 
  • Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time – Winston Churchill
 
  •  
What it should be
What it actually is
OF the people
OFF the people
FOR the people
FAR the people
BY the people
BUY the people
 
 
  • In a democracy, VOX POPULI (Voice of people) should be VOX DEI (Voice of God)
 
  • Pillars of democracy : 3D i.e. Debate, Discuss and Dialogue
 
  • Democracy can’t be restricted to elections and government. Democracy is strengthened by “Jan Bhagidari” i.e. People Participation
 
  •  Example of Jan Bhagidari – On independence Day people took oath to donate time for public service of their choice and by its implementation huge human resource were invested in various projects
 
  • Jan Bhagidari is the biggest asset of democracy
 
  • Democracy is nothing more than an angry mob, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% – Thomas Jefferson
 
  • Good governance with good intentions is the hallmark of our government. Implementation with integrity is our core passion— Narendra Modi
 
  • Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.—Margaret Mead
 
  • In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme. – Aristotle
 
  • Democracy works when people claim it as their own. – BILL MOYERS
 
  • The ballot is stronger than the bullet. – ABRAHAM LINCOLN
 
  • Democracy is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequal alike. – Plato
 
  • Democracy, like liberty, justice and other social and political rights, is not “given”, it is earned through courage, resolution and sacrifice. – AUNG SAN SUU KYI
 
  • Democracy is the road to socialism. – KARL MARX
 
  • “A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”  ― Theodore Roosevelt

 

 

Benefits of subscribing

Please comment below :

- If you want us to cover some specific topic
- If you find some factual/conceptual mistake in our notes
- If you like our notes. That will encourage us to do more.
- If you don't like our notes, then let us know why. That will help us to rectify the issue.